There are a multitude of recipes claiming to hold the secrets to the perfect vanilla custard. Many of them require all sorts of tools and trickery, but at the end of the day it really is just about a few simple ingredients treated with care, coming together in the right order to create something so timeless and classic.
It was never about the whisk and the fancy tools. You can actually use your blender to do most of the work for you! The Vibe Blender can handle both hot and cold which is perfect for this recipe.
Yield: 800ml custard
300ml full cream milk
1 vanilla pod
½ cup caster sugar
1 ½ tablespoons of cornflour
2 egg yolks
1 whole egg
30 grams cold butter, cubed
1. Place egg yolks, whole egg, sugar and cornflour into the stainless-steel blender jug. Remove the lid cap and place a funnel in the top.
2. Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan.
3. Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds, adding it to the milk and cream. Place the pod into the saucepan as well.
4. On medium heat, bring it slowly up to the boil. Be careful that it doesn’t overflow or burn.
5. Once the milk comes up to the boil and blooms up towards the top of the saucepan, take it off the heat and remove the vanilla pod.
6. Set the blender to soup mode and low speed and start blending the egg mix.
7. As the machine is running, slowly pour the hot milk into the blender through the funnel. Blend for 5 minutes.
8. Add the cold butter to the custard and blend for a further 30 seconds. The custard should be pouring consistency at this stage. It will thicken slightly upon cooling.
9. Serve warm or keep in the fridge, covered to cool and serve cold.
Note: To get a thicker product, try placing the custard back into the saucepan over low heat and stir continuously until it thickens. This will only take a couple of minutes.